The different brands of digital cameras or the old film roll ones have one thing in common – they create memories. Remember the famous picture of ‘Afghan Girl’ by Steve McCurry? It wouldn’t have reached out to us if it wasn’t for the camera. Since its inception, the camera has gradually gained in significance in our lives. In today’s Facebook generation, photographs and taking pictures are a daily activity even for amateurs. However, with photography having evolved into a serious profession; camera has not only grown in worth but also in features and technology it comes with. In fact with the growing market and the ever shrinking world, a large number of brands have come up with a whole world of cameras, or digital cameras to be precise. Here is a list of top 10 famous digital camera brands from over the world which is not so surprisingly typically made up of Japanese players.
10. Kodak:Founded by George Eastman in 1889, Kodak was known and recognized for its photographic films. It held such an influential position in the market formerly that the phrase ‘Kodak Moment’ became synonymous with photography. However due to its slow transition to the digital era, it failed to sustain and today it is ranked tenth in the list of famous camera brands. Owing to several failed attempts to resurrect its foothold in the industry, Kodak finally had to phase out the production of digital cameras.
(img source: clubic.com)
9. Philips:Founded by Gerard Philips and his father in 1891, Philips is a well known Dutch Electronics Brand. Owing to its long standing reputation of a bankable brand their lines of cameras too enjoy the same level of reliance in the market. Philips PT44434, Philips ESP-2, Philips ESP-60 and Philips ESP-80 are among its known models.
(img source: usa.philips.com)
8. Pentax:Best known for the “Asahi Pentax” single-lens reflex camera of 1957, Pentax was a trusted name for cameras. Though today it faces stiff competition from Sony, Canon and Nikon, Pentax has started manufacturing DSLRs to recapture the lost territory. To achieve this they have partnered with Samsung Techwin to share and work on Camera Technologies.
(img source: engadget.com)
7. Samsung:The South Korean behemoth in all things electronics is also a famous name among leading brands of digital cameras. Being a dependable name, the Samsung cameras enjoy the credibility built up by the company over the years. Its range of digital cameras is gaining in acceptability and the innovation into it is widely incorporated into mobile phones cameras as well.
(img source: testfreaks.ru)
6. Panasonic:One of the largest Japanese electronics company, Panasonic is one of the well respected brands of digital cameras in the market. Panasonic Lumix series are specially recognized for their compact system cameras, especially the Panasonic Lumix G3. Built and image quality are the best features of this camera series. With so much competition around Panasonic still has a long way to go before it catapults to the level of a high end player in the digital camera market.
(img source: digiphotomag.com)
5. Olympus:The name may sound Greek but Olympus is one of the many Japanese brands of digital cameras who are well known names in the segment. Olympus is particularly known for its compact digital cameras. Since its first camera in 1936, Olympus has come a long way as a camera brand. It is the designer of Four-Thirds System standard for digital single-lens reflex cameras with Olympus OM-D E-M5 is among the best Micro Four Thirds camera. The E-5 is its flagship DSLR camera available in the market since its launch in 2010.
(img source: fotoradce.cz)
4. Fujifilm:Another Japanese brand, Fujifilm is a trusted trade name in the digital camera market. Fujifilm X10 and Fujifilm X-Pro1 are in fact among the newest available in the market. Fujifilm FinePix series of digital cameras which include the F-mount SLRs are among its best selling products. There was a time when Fujifilm and Kodak were the only two recognized names one would hear for cameras though Kodak has lost a huge ground, Fujifilm is still a name to reckon in this segment!
(img source: tolmol.com)
3. Sony:The Japanese won’t stop. Sony, one of the global Japanese giants in the electronics segment, is known for producing some of the best cameras in the market. It offers a wide range of cameras for the rookies as well as the experienced. It is the third largest manufacturer of cameras in the world behind Canon and Nikon. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V and Sony NEX-5n are among the hottest selling items from a hoard of offerings. Cyber-shot and Alpha are its line of products for Point-and-shoot and single-lens reflex models respectively.
(img source: imagesnoise.com)
2. Nikon:A part of Mitsubishi Group, Nikon is known for manufacturing some of the world’s first SLR cameras. Like many technology and manufacturing majors, Nikon too is a Japanese company. Often the competition is between Nikon and Canon when it comes to deciding on a digital camera perfect for the professional. Nikon D7000, Nikon D4, Nikon D5100 and Nikon P7100 are the best available in the market. Nikon F-, D- and Coolpix series are the stars from its stables.
(img source: allaboutindia.org)
1. Canon:Trust us, no one can beat the Japanese in camera manufacturing and Canon tops them all. A Japanese company widely regarded as the global leader among famous brands of digital cameras, Canon is so popular that a person desiring to take up photography as a career or even as a hobby always chooses a Canon DSLR over any other available brands. Of course there is the ever engaging debate between Nikon and Canon being the best and often interchangeably positioned. However, Canon edges out in terms of its reach in the market added with the technology and variety offered. Canon PowerShot G12, Canon PowerShot S100 and Canon EOS 7D need hardly any introduction for the photography enthusiasts.
(img source: tentechnologies.com)