Polydactyly is a congenital physical anomaly of having supernumerary fingers or toes. It is also known as hyperdactyly. But is it really an anomaly or an obstacle? Certainly not for when we look at famous people who have achieved great heights of success in life despite being Polydactyly we realize it is perhaps a blessing in disguise; a sign for success! Here are top 10 famous people with extra fingers or toes.
10. Antonio Alfonseca:A retired relief pitcher who last pitched for Philadelphia Phillies, Antonio Alfonseca was born with extra digits in both hands and feet. He was nicknamed El Pulpo (“The Octopus”), The Dragonslayer, and Six-Fingers due to his condition which he was very proud of. Florida Marlins (1997-2001, 2005), the Chicago Cubs (2002-2003), the Atlanta Braves (2004) and the Texas Rangers (2006) were some of the other clubs he played for.
(img source: allstarpics.net)
9. “Hound Dog” Taylor:Theodore Roosevelt “Hound Dog” Taylor was born with six fingers on his left hand; perhaps one of the reasons for him being an excellent American Chicago blues guitarist and singer. ‘Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers’, his debut album which is now a major blues label, catapulted him from oblivion to popularity. It was followed by ‘Natural Boogie’ and from there onwards there was no looking back as it made him an icon for future generation of music lovers.
(img source: tumblr.com)
8. Gemma Arterton:Arterton is a British actress who was born with an extra finger on each hand, later removed. She has starred in a number of successful projects like BBC’s adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s Tess of the D’Urbervilles, James Bond film Quantum of Solace, Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Tamara Drewe. Gemma was nominated for a BAFTA in the Rising Star category.
(img source: flickeringmyth.com)
7. Robert Chambers:He was a Scottish geologist, publisher, evolutionary thinker, author and journal editor who was the author of the controversial ‘Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation- a work of speculative natural history and philosophy’. He was born with six fingers in both hands and six toes in both feet. During his lifetime he published numerous papers and books and was also member of numerous prestigious societies which naturally made him an influential figure in mid-19th century scientific and political circles.
(img source: juggle.com)
6. Danny Garcia:He is an undefeated American professional boxer with six toes in right foot. He is of Puerto Rican descent and the ruling Ring Magazine, WBC and WBA (Super) Light Welterweight Champion. In 2005 he won the under 19 championship and from then onwards there was no looking back. He began at a very young age of 10. His desire is to become the next great Puerto Rican fighter.
(img source: thaboxingvoice.com)
5. Henry II the Pious:He was born with six toes on his left foot and was Duke of Silesia at Wrocław, Duke of Kraków and thus High Duke of all Poland as well as High Duke of Southern Greater Poland from 1238 until his death in 1241. He belonged to the Silesian line of the Piast Dynasty and was an impeccable Christian knight and lord with an equally magnificent career.
(img source: jeremyhush.tumblr.com)
4. Garfield Sobers:Also known as Gary Sobers, he is a former West Indies Cricketer who debuted in the year 1954 and is touted as one of the game’s greatest all-rounders. A versatile player he was good in all departments of the sport and captained the West Indies from 1965 to1974. Also like many celebrities and famous people on this list, he was born with extra fingers in both hands but had them removed later.
(img source: cricbuzz.com)
3. Halle Berry:Halle Berry with an extra toe in her left foot is an Emmy, Golden Globe, SAG and Academy Award winning Actress who debuted in the year 1991. She began her stint in the glamour business as a model and then worked her way into movies. With movies like X-Men (2000), Die Another Day (2002), The Flintstones (1994), Bulworth (1998) and Cloud Atlas (2012) to her credit she is definitely one of Hollywood’s A-listers.
(img source: blog.zap2it.com)
2. Hrithik Roshan:Hrithik Roshan has an extra thumb on his right hand. He debuted with the Bollywood Box Office mega success Kaho Na Pyar Hai and went on to become one of the most popular actors of the Indian Cinema Industry. With blockbusters like Koi…Mil Gaya (2003) and its sequel Krrish (2006) and critically acclaimed performances in Guzaarish (2010), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011) and Agneepath (2012) he has indeed carved a niche for himself in Bollywood within years of making his first appearance.
(img source: jilaa.com)
1. Oprah Winfrey:She is the extremely popular and successful American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer and philanthropist – with six toes on her left foot. Born into extreme poverty to a teenage single mother in Mississippi; molested and raped as a child; pregnant as a teenager; losing an infant child et al; Oprah had seen it all in her life before rising like a Phoenix. The Oprah Winfrey Show ran for 25 seasons and still remains the highest-rated talk show in American television history.
(img source: newsone.com)